RNAse showing up in gel after plasmid miniprep

Thu Dec 19 19:17:24 EST 1996

At 04:50 PM 12/18/96 GMT, Paul N Hengen wrote:
>Marianne Leverone ", BIO (leverone at CHUMA.CAS.USF.EDU) wrote:
>
>> Berrnard M:  We are using <1 ug/ml.  Only one person in our lab is having
>> this trouble which is wierd.  We can't figure out why he is having such
>> trouble!  He is now trying a phenol:chloroform then chloroform extraction
>> to see if he can get rid of it.  this would be a pain because these are
>> minipreps, and the templates (a lot of them) are being used for DNA
>> sequencing (for mutation screening).  Marianne
>
>Add MORE RNase. What you are seeing on the gel is the RNA and not RNase!
>
>--
>* National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at ncifcrf.gov |*

But RNA runs well below the 0.5kb marker band, doesn't it? If I recall right, the band Marianne originally wrote about is at 0.5kb. Although, I have to admit, I have never seen RNase band in any of my gels (and I have run thousands by now)!!

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003