DMSO vs. raising annealing temp. in PCR

Michael Morales mmorales at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Dec 20 12:38:17 EST 1996

: I am trying to amplify a fragment of about 100 bp but
: am getting a smear of products with only little of the desired one.
: I am not using too many cycles and have raised the annealing
: temperature to its highest limit.

: DMSO seems to be rather widely used to increase the specificity of PCR,
: but I have always thought it may be replaced with tricks in annealing/
: denaturation temperature and reagent concentrations.

In my experience, PCR conditions a very empirical.  Each template and primer
pair can present unique problems.  So I guess what I am saying is that it is
a thing to try, and it will either help or it won't.  There are a lot of
helpful articles on PCR optimization, E-mail me and I'll send you a list, if
you want.

Good luck

Mike Morales

: Am I wrong?
: May DMSO be better in increasing the specificity of PCR (and the yield of
: the right product) than the other tricks?
: Is anyone with experiences or knowledge willing to share them?

: Timo Hiltunen