Plasmid contamination from pipettors

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 21 07:51:49 EST 1996

In article <32BAC571.D7B at pop.uky.edu>, "Michael W. Thompson"
<mthom0 at pop.uky.edu> writes
>Does anyone out there know of a good procedure to decontaminate
>pipettor barrels for use in RT-PCR experiments and likewise?  A big
>problem in our lab is that since we have been working so extensively
>with specific cDNAs, when we try to run an experiment such as RT-PCR
>which is sensitive to contamination, there are multiple bands in all
>samples.
>       Anyone?
>
>Michael Thompson
>Dept. of Biochemistry
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY 40536-0084

Some pipette barrels are autoclavable. Mild bleach - 10%? Use filter
pipette tips. Are you sure your problem is the barrels and not just
general background lab contamination. If you make up your PCR's in a
non-DNA lab with your pipettes do you still get contamination?

Duncan

sliced from time to time....

Dr. Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.