Nitrocellulose membrane and UV cross-linking.

Michal Svoboda msvobod at ben.vub.ac.be
Tue Dec 17 11:06:02 EST 1996

In article <199612051642.JAA06590 at NMSU.Edu>, hroychow at NMSU.EDU (Hiranya Roychowdhury) says:

>At 11:03 AM 12/4/96 -0800, Yoonsuk Park wrote:
>>Hi, everyone,
>>
>>I'm trying to colony hybridization using nitrocellulose membrane (S&S).
>>According to the manual which the manufacturer provided, vacuum drying oven
>>should be used to fix DNA onto nitrocellulose, but UV cross-linker can be
>>used for nylon membrane.  Is it true that UV cross-linker cannot be used
>>for nitrocellulose membrane for this purpose? If it's, why?
>
>because NC goes *poof* when exposed to UV.

	Hi,

The last sentence DO NOT CORRESPOND TO OUR EXPERIENCE : We currently use
UV crosslinking for NTC membranes (for both, colony and Southern blot
hybridisation : 1 min for dry and 2-3 for wet membranes using our UV
transluminator.
It works better than drying at 80°C and we never have *poof*.

						Michal Svoboda Dr.Sc.