bacteriophage f1

Michael Benedik benedik at
Fri Dec 27 13:37:02 EST 1996

In article <3GIRa3$lDf at>
isa.bbs at (§Ú¬O·R·ÓÃè¤lªºmutant!) writes:

> Have anyone heard about bacteriophage f1?
> I don't know how to conserve it.
> And, it's difficult for me to infect it with E.coli.
> Dose anyone have good method to do with f1?
> Please tell me.
> Thank you!
>                                        Isabella Chen

Phage F1 is very similar to M13 and fd.

You need to have a male strain carrying the F factor (or an Hfr
The other problem is often the titer of these phages is very high
(10e11 or
10e12 per ml) so you may not be diluting your stock enough.

A phage lysate is very stable. You can store for years at 4oC or
decades in the freezer.

Michael Benedik
Department of Biochemical Sciences
University of Houston