Help on Agarose!

Eike Christian Buss E.Buss at DKFZ-Heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 27 17:41:36 EST 1996

hey Lin,

you wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the protocol for making agarose?  I have
> search endlessly over the net with little luck.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Cindy Lin

I wonder what exactly your problem is,

Do you want to prepare Agarose right from the source, from some alga from
the southsea? In this case I cannot help you.

If you just want to prepare it: 1. buy Agarose from almost any supplier
2. mix it in 1-2% solution ( depending on what you want to do with it)
with your buffer solution (TBE e.g.)
3. Heat it up in a waterbath or faster in a microwave oven until it boils
well,
4. Let it cool down until you can pour it into your gel tray.

Tell me if you need more hints on this

bye Eike