how to remove SDS from RNA sample?

Dima Klenchin klenchin at
Wed Dec 25 22:56:38 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A41.3.95b.961224133143.73648A-100000 at>, Seng-Lai Tan <sltan at> wrote:
#Dear fellow researchers,
#i'm trying to reverse transcribe my RNA but it's resuspended in water that
#contains some SDS, which is inhibiting the RT reaction.  Does anyone know
#of a easy method (e.g. precipitation) that I can use to remove the SDS in
#my sample?  many thanks in advance.

Potassium salt of DS is insoluble at low temp. High K+ (~ 300 mM) on ice
will precipitate most of SDS. I don't know, though, how quantitative the
precipitation is and what's the dependence on SDS concentrations.

- Dima