Removal of E.coli non-specific binding

Ian A. York iayork at
Mon Dec 30 15:18:46 EST 1996

In article <01bbf68b$58a33a80$cd7106c2 at>,
DAVID PULFORD <david.pulford at> wrote:
>I'm looking for a quick and easy way of removing E.coli antibodies from a
>rabbit serum. I've found pseudoscreening an incomplete, time consuming and

When I had a problem with rabbit antiviral antisera cross-reacting with
normal (uninfected) cells, I made up a lysate of the normal cells and
tossed a little of this lysate into my serum, then proceded as usual; it
virtually eliminated cross-reactivity in westerns, presumably because the
cross-reactive antibodies bound to the antigens in the solution before
seeing the bound antigens.  It's the simplest approach possible, and may
be worth a try in your system as well.

      Ian York   (iayork at  <>