housekeeping gene rtpcr

Volker Blaschke vblasch at gwdg.de
Thu Feb 1 02:41:43 EST 1996

Hmm, it seems strange to me that there should be genes around which are
equally expressed under all circumstances in the cell. In my imagination,
all genes should be influenced by different stimuli somehow. We found
that e.g. GAPDH varies in Psoriasis (an inflammatory skin condition),
and, as far as I know, there is a limitation for Actin, I think it was
upregulated in Astrocytoma or so. Why shouldn't there be other conditions
influencing its expression that we have not yet thoroughly investigated?
But then, everybody relies on it. For RTPCR, we do no longer rely on
Actin or GAPDH, but use an internal standard, this makes more sense to me
after all.

  Volker