purchasing power supply for sequencing

Michael Szardenings msz at bmc.uu.se
Thu Feb 1 05:50:17 EST 1996

Hello folks,
I would like to get your opinion and promise to post a
summary of all answers to this list.
We are going to purchase a power supply for sequencing
etc.; what we need are about 3000 V and at least 200W
to run to seq-gels in parallel. Preferable at least
300mA current at low voltage, so we might even use it
for blotting small gels.
I have been looking around and (of course) the prices
are differing very much. Power supplies from the
following companies seem to be suitable with regard to
our own needs:
1. Hoefer (now Pharmacia owned)
2. BRL/Lifetechnologies (PowerPac3000)
3. Biorad
4. E-C Apparatus Corp.
5. Biometra (PP3000)

We would of course like to know your opinion about
reliability, technical service etc. The reason why I ask
is, that I got stories from some of these power supplies,
that they either blow up or the service had been very
bad and delayed.
Thanks
				Michael
**     ** ***   ** ******** *Michael Szardenings                       *