Meningococcus

"Marianne Leverone ", BIO leverone at CHUMA.CAS.USF.EDU
Thu Feb 1 10:39:30 EST 1996

Dear D.K.:  N. meningitidis is pretty darn picky.  You may want to get a
hold of a book that describes this bug.  It requires 5% CO2 for growth so
you will have to use a 5%CO2 incubator or a candle jar.  I don't know how
weel it grows in a canle jar however (a big mayonaisse jar with petri
plates with a short candle on top;  light the candle, close the lid
tightly -air tight;  the candle burns out- oxygen has been reduced).
ATCC says N. meningitidis grows on chocolate agar, a rich medium (GC
agar base) with dried hemoglobin and IsovitaleX (BBL 11876).  You can
also use GC base with blood cells;  heat the cells to ~80C until the
medium turns to a chocolate color and temper immediately to 45-50C and
pour plates (or just buy some pre-poured).  This species may only survive
about 2 days before you will have to restreak.  I don't know about your
other questions.  Maybe you better talk to someone who works with this
organism.  Marianne Leverone, USF, Tampa