isopropanol to precipitate DNA: how much?

Zhengyang Wu zywzyw at
Thu Feb 1 08:58:13 EST 1996

Hi all!

Sorry if my question is too simple for you!

Isopropanol can be used instead of ethanol for DNA precipitation, but how
much shall one use? Some mAnual says 1 volume, while some others 0.8 vol.,
1.5 vol., 2 vol. and so on. Which one is right (or most efficient), or it
does not matter? I can not find any book which describes the use of isopropanol

Isopropanol precipitation does not require freezing, lets more efficient
removal of salts, right? Are there more advantages with it?

Thanks for your reply!

zhengyang wu

e-mail: zywzyw at
Dept. Med. Microbiol.
Linkoping Univ.
S-58185, Linkoping
Zhengyang Wu, e-mail: zywzyw at
Vastanagatan 20-215, S-582 35, Linkoping, Sweden