Q:Purification of total nucleic acid and protein

Dave Hollingworth d-hollin at nimr.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 09:33:30 EST 1996

I am looking for a method that will allow me to purify total nucleic acid and protein (each separately) from the same bacterial pellet.Previously I have just been purifying total DNA and RNA so a simple phenol extraction was sufficient. Now however I want to look at the proteins as well but as I am using labelled compounds the price of doing 2 preps is prohibitive. So anyone got any ideas? Can you recover the protein from the phenol? Are there any other methods? All help will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Dave