Smear in gel lanes (mini preps)

Chip Peele chip_peele at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 2 18:27:01 EST 1996

When I run out digested plasmid DNA from alkaline mini preps I get
appropriate bandsas well as a smear throughout the lane.  When I
digested plasmid DNA isolated via qiagen maxi prep I did not see this
smear.  I have not had this problem in the past!!  Is it possible that
the cells that I am using could be the culprit.  The competent cells
that I used for transformations had thawed out, so I used them to make
more competent cells.  Is it possible that this could be the problem???