SENSE vs. ANTI-SENSE DNA CALL FOR VOTES

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 2 12:25:58 EST 1996

In article <DM5t20.5HH at ncifcrf.gov>,
   pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) wrote:
-->           *** SENSE vs. ANTI-SENSE DNA CALL FOR VOTES ***
-->                      DEADLINE 16 February 1996

-->When referring to DNA, the terms should be `Transcribed Strand' (the
-->anti-parallel complementary strand to the mRNA) of a specific gene and
-->`Non-Transcribed Strand' (the strand with the same sequence as the mRNA) of a
-->specific gene.  These can be shortened to the T-strand of gene X and the
-->N-strand of gene X.  The T-strand of gene X could also be the N-strand of
gene
-->Y if X and Y are read from the same region of the DNA.  Since the gene is
-->defined, these terms can be used without confusion.
-->
-->When referring to RNA, messenger RNA read from the T-strand should be
-->designated as sense RNA, and the anti-parallel complement to that message
-->designated as anti-sense RNA.

I've voted yes, but I still have hard time to believe that someone could ever
think anything different from the above. I always had it this way in my mind
(maybe because I don't do molbiol much :-))

- Dima