Smear in gel lanes (mini preps)

Dr.Sailesh Surapureddi SaiSu at MCB.LiU.SE
Sat Feb 3 00:45:43 EST 1996

>When I run out digested plasmid DNA from alkaline mini preps I
>get
>appropriate bandsas well as a smear throughout the lane.  When I
>digested plasmid DNA isolated via qiagen maxi prep I did not see
>this
>smear.  I have not had this problem in the past!!  Is it
possible >that
>the cells that I am using could be the culprit.  The competent
>cells
>that I used for transformations had thawed out, so I used them
to >make
>more competent cells.  Is it possible that this could be the
>problem???

I guess you are omitting the RNAse treatment and  with qiagen,
the first buffer has RNAse in it already, so you are not seeing
the smear.
Check out the RNAse, I am sure thats the culprit in your case.

Sailesh.

												As I sail far far away...

Snail Mail:
Dr.Sailesh Surapureddi
Post Doc
Inst for Cell Biologi
Halsouniversitetet
Linkoping. S 581 85
Sweden.
Tele		:+46-13-223917				(Res		:+46-13-138839)
Fax			:+46-13-224149
E.mail: Saisu at mcb.liu.se