promoter sequences

Benny Shomer bshomer at
Fri Feb 2 22:02:28 EST 1996

kalch (kalch at wrote:
: I have some promoter sequence thay I'd like to screen for the
: transcriptional response elements it contains.  Is there a database
: that contains this kind of info?

You may either look manually into Transfac database using the SRS system
at EBI's site:   Or use the program SIGNAL SCAN
from Dr. Dan S. Prestridge. The program scans a few TF databases against
your sequence.

Prestridge, D.S. (1991) SIGNAL SCAN: A computer program that scans DNA
sequences for eukaryotic transcriptional elements. CABIOS 7, 203-206.

You can contact the author for downloading details:
  Dr. Dan S. Prestridge                        Tele:(612) 625-3744
  MBCC-Biochemistry                            E-mail:danp at
  1479 Gortner Ave.
  University of Minnesota
  St. Paul, MN    55108

Hope this helps,

Doing PCR?
Have you got some good, working primers???
Visit the PCR primers database at
and make your donation.

If you don't have access to WWW, just write to primers at

Benny Shomer
External Biological Liaison Officer,
EMBL outstation - The EBI,
Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,Cambridge CB10 1RQ, UK

Tel:   +44-223-494437
Fax:   +44-223-494468
Email: bshomer at