QUANTITATIVE PCR

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Mon Feb 5 17:41:00 EST 1996

In article <alena.5.0010294D at scientia.up.ac.za>, alena at scientia.up.ac.za
says...

>I want to quantify cytokines secreted by T cells upon infection of mice,
> but I don't know the easiest way to do this.  Is it possible to do this by a
>quantitative PCR with the right primers (for instance for IL-2 or IFN)?
>Anne Lenaerts (from Belgium)
>alena at scientia.up.ac.za

No, RT-PCR measures RNA levels.  For secreted cytokines I believe
the "conventional" methods are based upon sandwich ELISA.
A company called Cytimmune Sciences visited recently and were pushing
an alternative to the sandwich method which was based on competetion
using biotinylated cytokines.  I guess there are plenty more systems out
there.

[No affiliation with Cytimmune...- not even a customer]

		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.