SENSE vs. ANTI-SENSE DNA CALL FOR VOTES

Paul N Hengen pnh at kaylor.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Feb 5 12:14:13 EST 1996

Jim Graham (lruble at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu) wrote:

: Paul,
: Darn, sounds like I'm a little late. I've been working on transcription
: for the last 7 years, and in the monastic inner circle of prokaryotic
: (yes, that's a K :) transcription, we designate the two strands,
: "template and non-template" in relation to the RNA polymerase.
: This mechanistic perspective from biochemistry I believe cuts to the
: chaste. I guess it is similar to the proposed designation, but I
: find it evokes a more readily visualized image.

That is exactly what is proposed, so why do you sound like you're against
this? It is not that THIS is confusing but that the use of sense and
anti-sense wrt DNA that is confusing. The proposal is to eliminate the *sense*
stuff from the DNA terminology! Do you have any problem with that?