GFP truncation

Peter Wang plw at
Tue Feb 6 15:48:44 EST 1996

tomasd at (Tomas Drgon) wrote:
>Does somebody know what happens to the GFP if I chop off C-terminal say 30
>amino acids (BstBI site)? Will it still shine?

Apparently you cannot shorten GFP significantly (1 residue at the amino-end
and <10-15 at the carboxy-end, see reference below) and still have

There is a newsgroup just about fluorescent proteins, especially GFP:
and there was a recent similar question and reply, which I've clipped in

krasel at (Cornelius Krasel) wrote:
>Stefan Wieland (swieland at wrote:
>> We are looking for the shortest,but still functional GFP protein.
>> Does someone know, whether one can truncate GFP without loosing activity?
>Not much. Check out
>        author  = {Andrew B. Cubitt and Roger Heim and Stephen R. Adams
>                   and Aileen E. Boyd and Larry A. Gross and Roger Y. Tsien},
>        title   = {Understanding, improving and using green fluorescent
>                   proteins.},
>        journal = TIBS,
>        volume  = 20,
>        pages   = {448--455},
>        year    = 1995

Peter Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
MRC Centre for Protein Engineering,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, England

Tel (01223) 402104  (international calls +44-1223-402104)
Fax (01223) 402140  (     "          "   +44-1223-402140)