classical mutagenesis? the best way to do it

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Mon Feb 5 19:45:32 EST 1996

On 5 Feb 1996, Christian Belanger wrote:
> I'm looking for a regular protocol to do a non specific mutagenesis on
> E.coli.  Which method is the better?  Which chemical will give the best
> results.

Christian,

Are you talking of chemical mutagenesis? I love diethyl sulfate method
(DES). It is easy to use, not excesivelly volatile and because is a
liquid, you don't need to weighth any mutagenic dust. Basically, add 1
drop (50 ul) of DES to 1 ml of cells; incubate at 37 during 5-30 minutes
(you will have to determine the best mutants/death ratio; normally in
enterobacteria 1% of supervivency is perfect; that is got using 20
minutes. Don't forget use a recA+ strain). Don't shake; the DES will
go to the bottom of the tube. After the time requiered, take 0.1 ml from
the top, wash, and grow overnight in 2-5 ml of medium. After that, plate
in selective/screening plates.

To inactivate DES, pour it in hot water and let it cool down.

> Any suggestions? or references?

This protocol came directly from:

S.R. Maloy. (1990) Experimental techniques in bacterial genetics. Jones
and Barlett Pub. Boston, Mass.

There is no DES protocols, but detailed information in other methods, in:

JH Miller. (1992) A short course in bacterial genetics. CSHL press, Cold
Spring Harbor, NY

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |