arrested nascent chains

silverback meneghini at molbio.uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 6 19:12:31 EST 1996

o.k.  does anyone know at which site (A or P) in the ribosome arrested
nascent chains lacking stop codons accumulate?  Logic tells me that in the
absence of further message, the peptidyl tRNA may stay in the A site and
not translocate to the P site.  However puromycin is capable of releasing
these nascent chains and the lore is (as I undersatnd it) that puromycin
only releases nascent chains in the P site.  Please help this information
is critical to my comprehensive exam proposals and no one in the
literature has offered any information on this.
thanks,

marc meneghini
Institute of molecular biology, university of oregon