DNA extraction/PCR from dried samples

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 7 07:30:27 EST 1996

Hi,

I'm doing some RAPD work using DNA extracted from freshly-killed moths. No
problems there (yet!), but a former grad student in the lab did some nice
crosses and left a bunch of moths dried up in a cabinet. I'm wondering what my
chances of getting amplifiable DNA from these moths is, and how likely I am to
get the same bands from the fresh as the dried samples. I guess I'll just have
to try the experiment, but I was hoping someone might be able to give me an
idea of how reasonable it would be to even try.

Thanks
--

Susan Jane Hogarth