Tracking dyes in agarose gel electorphoresis

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Feb 7 15:26:33 EST 1996

Ned Mantei (mantei at neuro.biol.ethz.ch) wrote:

> We have used bromophenol blue and xylene cyanol.  We were wondering if
> there were any others dyes which migrated more slowly in a TBE Agarose
> gel

: Why more slowly? We use Orange G, which migrates *ahead* (faster) than
: even the small DNA fragments. It never happens that a band is obscured by
: the tracking dye.

Unless your DNA fragment is 20-40 bp and you're using SYBR Green I to
stain. With Orange G, you get 2 new bands on your gel. One bright and
one dark. The dark one blocks the DNA fragment band. No such problem
with Amaranth (Sigma A-1016), which moves a little faster.

@article{Hengen1995Maytibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Agarose gel electrophoresis in your kitchen",
volume = "20",
number = "5",
pages = "202-203",
month = "may",