SENSE vs. ANTI-SENSE DNA CALL FOR VOTES

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 12:35:35 EST 1996

In article <4f8c0p$7r at epx.cis.umn.edu> Robert Horton,
horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu writes:
>: > I think we should have a ballot with a list of all nominated
>: > nomenclature schemes, such as:
>: >
>: > a) T-strand/N-strand
>: >
>: > b) template strand/non-template strand
>: >
>: > c) top/bottom
>: >
>: > d) etc. (your suggestion here)
>: >

I realise that this probably won't advance the discussion much, but it
seems that
if we had a yes/no vote about abandoning the S word wrt DNA, then we'd
get an
overwhelming consensus in favour.  Whether to replace it with
template/non-template,
transcribed/non-transcribed or whatever, is a more trivial issue, but I
agree that a
ballot as above would be best.  However, just to get it over with, I'm
voting yes in
the existing vote.  Just think, my name in lights!

Anthony.