housekeeping gene rtpcr

Peter Doris hepad at ttu.edu
Thu Feb 8 20:00:25 EST 1996

People interested in this topic might want to see two recent papers
from our lab on quantitative RT-PCR. This work shows that accurate
quantitation can be accomplished which meets the mathematical ideals
mentioned earlier in this thread (Todd Miller). Sam is correct in
suggesting that it's a lot of work to set up. But once the system is
validated, you can easily quantitate in single reactions. A critical
issue in competitive RT-PCR is competitor design and reaction
product analysis. The issues raised by heteroduplex formation have
not been well understood, though that is now changing through the
use of appropriate reaction product analysis techniques.

A. Hayward-Lester, P. J. Oefner and P.A. Doris. Rapid quantification
of gene expression by competitive RT-PCR and ion-pair reversed-phase
HPLC. BioTechniques. 20:250-257, 1996.

A. Hayward-Lester, S. Sabatini, P.J. Oefner and P. A. Doris.
Accurate and absolute quantitative measurement of gene expression by
single tube RT-PCR and HPLC. Genome Research 5:494-499, 1995.

Peter Doris