Can seq gel sit O/N before drying?

Tom Vasicek tvasicek at watson.princeton.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:39:17 EST 1996

In article <4fb64a$n8k at crcnis3.unl.edu>, cstryker at unlinfo.unl.edu (cynthia
stryker) wrote:

> That's my question!  After running, is it ok for the power to go off &
> for the gel to sit overnight before fixing & staining?  Thanks!  Cindy at
> UNL

I assume you're asking about DNA sequencing gels -- TBE/urea/polyacrylamide.

I have not seen any blurring or other problems in gels that I've had shut
off in the middle of the night.  However, I don't fix or stain.  My
sequencing rxns are radiolabelled so I trasfer the gel directly from the
glass plates to Whatman paper immediately after seperating the plates.
Then I cover the gel with plastic wrap and vaccuum dry it for 30 min.
before autoradiography.

My DNA seq. gels are 50% urea, 4 to 6 % acrylamide, 1x TBE.

-tv
Thomas J. Vasicek, Ph.D.                         tvasicek at watson.princeton.edu
Department of Molecular Biology                              FAX:    609/258-3345
Princeton University                                                Phone:  609/258-2899
Princeton, New Jersey  08544