need info on hygromycin

Mark Crowe mark.crowe at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 14:50:51 EST 1996

In article <4ep9ha$ip at netnews.upenn.edu>, alavizad at mail1.sas.upenn.edu (S.
Ali Alavizadeh) wrote:

> Does anyone know how hygromycin works as an antibiotic, how it is obtained,
> and how the hygromycin(r) gene blocks it's activity? I haven't been able
> to find anything about it in any of the catalogs in the lab.

Try the Gritz and Davies paper, 'Plasmid-encoded hygromycin B resistance:
the sequence of hygromycin B phosphotransferase gene and its expression in
E. coli and S. cerevisiae', Gene 25 (1983), 179-188. This descibes the
isolation and sequencing of the hygR gene, along with info about
hygromycin and how the resistance gene works. I'm not convinced by the
sensitivity threshold of yeast though - my strain will grow at up to about
400ug/ml hyg without the resistance gene in it (up to 2mg/ml with).

Mark Crowe - mark.crowe at bbsrc.ac.uk
Institute of Food Research
Earley Gate, Whiteknights Road, Reading, UK