Do NTP's precipitate with ethanol? How efficiently?

CK Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Sat Feb 10 11:11:59 EST 1996

Dave Hollingworth <d-hollin at nimr.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:
>If you do an ethanol precipitation on a mixture of NTP's and DNA
>do they both go into the pellet? Do the conditions for precipitation
>matter (different salts, temperatures etc....). Is there a better way
>of precipitating NTP's?
>Dave

Dear Dave:
  I do not think dNTPs precipitate with the DNA, though no direct
evidence can be provided to you.  Just think that when we prepare
P32-end-labeled DNA probes, the gamma-P32-ATP is removed after ethanol
precipitation.  Also, if you EtOH ppt your alpha-P32-lableled DNA
probes, you may get "hot" sup which indicates that the free dCTP is in
the EtOH phase.  After several EtOH washes, the sup is never hot and the
pellet should be the labeled DNA.

  Hope this help.

Cheer,

Chi-Kuang