Monitoring RNA synthesis

Neil Winegarden nwinegar at erin.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 10 14:44:41 EST 1996

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I want to monitor RNA synthesis inside of cells, and to do this via
immunoflouresence.  Specifically, I am looking for a molecule which will
get incorperated into RNA (and not DNA) which I can later detect with
antibodies etc.  Obviously this molecule must be cell permeable and this
is my problem.  Normally I would use tritiated uridine or something like
that but I need to localise the RNA in the cells, and thus isotopes are
no good.  I was thinking of using DIG-UTP but this will not get into
cells I am told.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--