Extracting from agarose (Re: Which kit for cleaning PCR products?)

David Martin damartin at bioslave.uio.no
Mon Feb 12 11:03:05 EST 1996

On a related theme, does anyone have any idea what the QX 1 buffer is in the
Qiaex kit? My guess would be that the resin is a silicate (like those
previously discussed) and that the buffer contains denaturants. Would these be
sufficient to denature the gel to get the DNA out of the agarose?
My other guess is that the PE buffer is basically 70% alcohol, maybe
containing some precipitant.

Any comments?

..David Martin

(a novice molecular biologist who doesn't like spending money on kits that he
could spend on something else)

* David Martin, PhD -  Post-Doctoral Research Fellow    *
* Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis research group         *
* Biotechnologisenteret i Oslo                          *
* Gaustadalleen 21  (Postboks 1125 Blindern)            *
* N-0316 Oslo                                           *
* Norway                                                *
* Tel: +47 22 95 84 54  Fax: +47 22 69 41 30            *
* email: david.martin at biotek.uio.no                     *