Do DNA DE-methylases exist?

Brad Nicholson Brad_Nicholson at hlthsci.med.utah.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:56:35 EST 1996

In article <4fm9m2$ioc at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Peter Wang
<plw at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Netters:
 >
 >Someone was asking me about restriction endonucleases and methylases,
 >and had the interesting question of whether or not there are enzymes
 >that de-methylate DNA.
>snip<

Hi Peter,

As far as bacteria go, there are no specific DNA de-methylases known.
There is a repair pathway that can remove methyl groups (fuzzy memory here,
it was first described in Science a few years back, let me know if you
really wan't to know.)  I believe that there are de-methylases in
eucaryotes and this may be involved in development.  I imagine others on
this group could better describe this activity.

Brad
Brad Nicholson                      |"If it worked the first time,
Department of Pathology             |	it wouldn't be research."
University of Utah                  |	 ...Brad Nicholson
Salt Lake City, UT 84132            |  My opinions are solely my own.
Brad_Nicholson at hlthsci.med.utah.edu |
or: (801)-581-4365                  |  iligitimi non corborundrum