Trouble finding DNA concentration on Spec..

Wayne Duck wayne-duck at phy164.physiology.uab.edu
Wed Feb 14 18:50:58 EST 1996

William B. Melchior, Jr. wrote:

> Charles A Miller wrote:
>
> >         I am am having trouble determining DNA concentrations on a
> > spectrophotometer. When I measure the UV absorbance, I consistantly get
> > 0 or even a negative number when it is obvious through gel
> > elctrophoresis of the supercoiled plasmid that there is plently of DNA.

On occasion I have seen this problem in DNA samples that were not
completely dry.  I don't "know", but I had always assumed ethanol
was causing the problem.

Wayne Duck
Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics

guest2 at phybio.bhs.uab.edu
http://neill.physiology.uab.edu
http://neill.physiology.uab.edu/wayne
http://neill.physiology.uab.edu/wayne/auball.htm "War Eagle"

"Houston, Tranquility base here, The Eagle has landed."