Help with He sparging of HPLC solvents

Philip J. Wyatt phil at wyatt.com
Fri Feb 16 21:33:15 EST 1996

In article <4fogus$ddr at newsbf02.news.aol.com> jafinlay at aol.com (Jafinlay)
writes:
> Folks,
>
> I use helium sparging in our HPLC solvents to degas.  I have yet to find
> good text explaining exactly how this works.  Does anyone out there know
> of good documentation on He sparging of solvents?  If not does anyone
know
> of any more chemistry/chromatography related newsgroups?
>
> Tx
>
> Judith Finlay

Why don't you use an in-line degasser and conserve the irreplaceable He we
have remaining here on earth.  I believe that a recent NSF report
suggested greater conservation should be pursued since He will become even
more important for research purposes in the years ahead.

Enough of the soapbox lectures.  I believe that the He atoms are supposed
to knock loose the dissolved gasses.  Once this occurs, the atmosphere
above the mobile phase becomes a pure He buffer to prevent further access
to the mobile phase by gasses that are soluable.  He is not soluable, of
course!

But try a Waters in-line degasser, for example, or others that are readily
available.  We think they're great!  And then there is no danger in this
earthquake country of a He tank falling over!
Phil Wyatt -- phil at wyatt.com