Search for universal bacterial 5S primer

Shaun Tyler styler at HPB.HWC.CA
Sat Feb 17 19:12:14 EST 1996

> Search for universal bacterial 5S primer
>
> Mario Vaneechoutte (Mario.Vaneechoutte at rug.ac.be)
> 8 Feb 1996 08:56:27 GMT

>      concentration on Spec.."
>      Concentration for Selection in Mouse Fibroblasts?"

> To: methods at net.bio.net
>
> From: Mario Vaneechoutte <Mario.Vaneechoutte at rug.ac.be>
>
> Subject: Search for universal bacterial 5S primer
>
> Date: 8 Feb 1996 08:56:27 GMT
>
> We would like to find primers which enable amplification of the
> complete
> rRNA-cistron (16S, 23S and 5S rDNA + spacers) for most bacteria. We
> are
> looking for a universal reverse primer in the 5S. Plenty of data on
> 16S
> and 23S, but few on 5S. Who can help? Thanks.

>      concentration on Spec.."
>      Concentration for Selection in Mouse Fibroblasts?"Hi Mario,

If you get this message I'll be very pleased.  I'm new on the Net and don't realy know what I'm
doing.

I have been involved with designing primers to detect potential virulence factors and to speciate
bacteria for several years now and your question made me remember one of my most notable
"failures".

In an effort to develop a PCR protocol to speciate a particular bacteria I chose the 5S rRNA
sequence as a target.  It turned out that these primers amplified everything we tested them with.
 If you want the sequences I'll be happy to supply them (that is if I can find them --
considering my goals I'm not particularly proud of them and I may have hidden every record of
their existance).  The primers targeted a region internal to the 5S gene so if you are looking at
amplifying an intact operon I don't think they will be suitable.  In fact if you are looking for
a set of universal primers to amplify the complete rRNA operon I think you will be hard pressed.

If you think I can help let me know.

Shaun Tyler
DNA Core Facility
Bureau of Microbiology