Smiles in agarose gels

Landry Pierre-Alexandre landryp at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Feb 19 20:42:56 EST 1996

Hello everyone.

	In order to separate DNA fragments obtained from RAPD, I make the
amplification samples run through an horizontal agarose gel.
Unfortunately, I always get this "smile" that bends all the bands and
makes the gel analysis much more complicated. The gels are 1,5%, and I've
tried different voltages from 20 to 80 volts, and although I noticed that
the "smile" is reduced with decreasing voltages, it isn't clear enough to
allow a perfect analysis. I'd be glad to hear any suggestion, advice or
magic trick to improve the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre-Alexandre Landry
Dept. des Sciences Biologiques