Using Biotin in ELISA's

TA. Omiecinski bijgh at zeus.bris.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 09:28:40 EST 1996

Karl Eisele (cbiei01 at commlink.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: Hi,

: I'd say we need a bit more information on your setup to help you.
: However, one mistake which is frequently made is blocking your ELISA
: with dried milk which itself contains biotin (!!) --> high background (or
: unspecific binding).

I read that somewhere and have been using BSA or gelatin as a blocking
agent.  The problem I'm having isn't a high background as such (empty
wells give negative results) but false positive binding to any protein I
coat the plate with.

Thanks for your interest!

Jared

--
Jared Head     at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol