Double Labeling Problem

Michael Szardenings msz at bmc.uu.se
Tue Feb 20 07:43:46 EST 1996

In article <4g8og1$jh7 at news.fsu.edu>, srd9025 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu. says...

>I am double labeling a protein grown in E. coli.  I am labeling with 15N
>and 13C.  The 15N label is working fine by itself. I get a good amount
>of protein, but when I tried to double label the growth basically died.
>I am introducing the 13C through glucose.  Has anyone else had this
>problem?  Suggestions of possible problems would be welcome.

Perhaps you use too much glucose? 1% is sometimes already a problem for
certain strains, but 2% will definitely kill E.coli. There is some effect on
the ATPase, that makes glucose also a very good conserving agent for
marmelades etc (which is a field that actually not belongs to this list,
sorry).
Regards
		Michael
**     ** ***   ** ******** * Michael Szardenings                       *