How much bis-acrylamide in aa-gel

Mark Lamkin mlamkin at
Tue Feb 20 08:51:06 EST 1996

In article <muel1534-170296184444 at>,
   muel1534 at (Dirk Mueller) wrote:
>Last week we made an acrylamide gel with acrylamide:bisacrylamide
>This high amount of bisacryleamide should have been good for
resolution but
>all we could see was a white gel - like milk !?!?!?
>Perhaps hte recipe is wrong.
>Thanks, Dirk Mueller

Exactly how much of each reagent did you use? The 30:4 usually means
30% total acrylamide (acrylamide + bisacrylamide) of which 4% of the
total is bisacrylamide. So you should be weighing out 28.8 g
acrylamide/100 ml and 1.2 g bisacrylamide/100 ml.

I know you can get this into solution. In fact, I use Schagger and von
Jagow's Tricine gels for which the stock solution is 49.5%T, 6%C :)

Dr. Mark Lamkin
Boston Unversity School of Dental Medicine

"Saliva: A little bit goes a long way!"