Halls hyb?

Ferland Louis H. ferlandl at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Wed Feb 21 02:17:46 EST 1996

Dear Christopher,

What you know as Hall's solution is called "Church buffer" in my neck of
the wood (except with the addition of 1mM EDTA). We use it almost daily
for our Northern blots and are quite satisfied with the results as well
as with the ease of preparation, storage and use, not to mention low
cost. It is quite standard lab practice around the world (everywhere I've
been, anyway). The reference I use is:

Church, RM and Gilbert, W (1984) Genomic sequencing. PNAS 81:1991-1995.

As you can see, nothing ecclesiastic about the Church buffer ;-)))

Hope this answered your question,

Louis

On 20 Feb 1996, Christopher Coward wrote:

> Date: 20 Feb 1996 12:31:09 GMT
> From: Christopher Coward <cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: Halls hyb?
>
> When I do a hybridisation I use what was referred to me as Hall's
> hybridisation solution (0.5M Na2HPO4, 0.5M NaH2PO4, 7% SDS, pH 7.5) for
> prehybing and hybing. Does anyone know a reference for this? It is
> standard lab practice here, but I assume it's been published somewhere.
> Any replies preferably by e-mail.
>
> Cheers in advance.
>
> Chris

> Chris Coward                             Tel: (01223) 333545
> University of Cambridge                  Fax: (01223) 333334
> Department of Pathology                  E-mail: cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
> Microbiology and Parasitology Division           (MIME compliant)
> Tennis Court Road
> Cambridge
> CB2 1QP

Dr. Louis H. Ferland
Centre de Recherche, Hotel-Dieu de Montreal
Dept de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal
Phone: (514) 843-2757     FAX: (514) 843-2719