RAPDs and PCR

Doug Johnson djohnson at oreo.uottawa.ca
Wed Feb 21 09:51:03 EST 1996

We are trying to use RAPD bands as S-blot probes. The idea is to gel
extract and PCR using the same primer and 32-P. But when the band is
extracted and re-amplified(same primer, same RAPD conditions are used),
we observed lower MWt bands in addition to the original one.If the
HMWt band is re-isolated from the second gel and amplified once
again, we still see the LMWt bands. Has anyone seen this? Is this a
problem with band to band separation when the agarose gel is used to
prepare fragments? All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Doug Johnson (djohnson at oreo.uottawa.ca)