RAPDs and PCR

Michael Gillings gillinm at agric.nsw.gov.au
Wed Feb 21 23:50:34 EST 1996

I have heard of similar problems to this one, particularly when there is
internal homology within a RAPD product, or where there is homology
between two (or more) distinct RAPD fragments.
It is possible, for instance, that your RAPD fragment has multiple sites
that are partially homologous to the primer used: result, multiple products
from a single DNA species.  It is also possible that the larger fragment is
itself an artefact; some sort of strange product dimer for instance.
I have two suggestions that might overcome your problem.  When the RAPD
fragment is recovered from the gel, use a higher annealing temperature in
the second RAPD.  You might go above the Tm, since you know that the RAPD
fragment has exact homology to the primer at either end.
Secondly, why not try hybridisation with the smaller RAPD fragment? ie
purify, amplify and label the low molecular wt product.  It may well be
homologous to the larger fragment, and will certainly be easier to
recover from the agarose and hybridise with.

Best of luck

Michael

Dr Michael Gillings
Senior Research Scientist
Biological and Chemical Research Institute
PMB 10, Post Office Rydalmere
NSW 2116
AUSTRALIA

Ph   61-2-843-5709