Partial RE digestion - please advise!

John Dixon jpcd0 at
Thu Feb 22 07:55:25 EST 1996

In article <voellerj-2002961436470001 at>,
voellerj at (Jim Voeller) wrote:

> In article <jpcd0-2002961403240001 at>,
> jpcd0 at (John Dixon) wrote:
> >As BsmB1 is a hapaxoterministic enzyme you should be able to clone the
> Please define hapaxoterministic. Just curious, thanks.

Hapaxoterministic was coined by Shelby Berger, I think, in Anal Biochem,
222 1-8 1994, to describe enzymes that cut outside their recognition
sequence, giving unspecified overhang sequence.

BsmB1 for instance cuts CGTCTCN       NNNNNNNN
                        GCAGAGNNNNN       NNNN

So that the overhang at any one cut point is 1 of the 256 combinations of
ACGT. Apart from palindromic ones, these ends are non-self-complementary
and cannot concatemerize.

They can be quite useful occasionally.

John Dixon                                        Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute                            Fax 44 (1223) 334134
Department of Genetics
Cambridge University
United Kingdom                           e-m: jpcd0 at