RT-problem in RT-PCR

Thomas Kreuzer thomas.kreuzer at BALU.KFUNIGRAZ.AC.AT
Thu Feb 22 10:32:24 EST 1996

Hi, all you methods and reagents,

I have already posted this under a more specific title,but so far I have
received no responses. But I am sure that there is someone in this newsgroup
who can help me with my little problem.
I am STILL looking for literature concerning the efficiency of reverse
transcriptase when transcribing different mRNA targets.
I have found a paper by Berger et al. telling me that the reverse
transcriptase works with an efficiency of 50 %  under optimal conditions i.e.
only 50 % of input mRNA are transcribed into full-lenght cDNA , which answers
question a) in my last posting  = ( How many cDNA copies can be produced for
each molecule of mRNA in one hour of reverse transcription? )
But I did not find anything concerning question b): Can I assume that
different mRNAs are transcribed at the same rate when using oligo-p(dT)
primers or can there be differences in the transcription rate due to
sequential or structural differences ?
It is quite important for me to get an answer to that question and I am sure
that some quantitative-RT-PCR-guru in this newsgroup knows it. So if you have
literature references , personal experiences or opinions , please send me an
email or post to this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Kreuzer
Inst.f. Biochemistry