SENSE vs. ANTI-SENSE DNA VOTING RESULTS

THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU
Fri Feb 23 15:17:55 EST 1996

Dear Dr Hengen and colleagues,
As a scientist who became a high school teacher, I have been following
this thread with great interest.  Any number of high school texts
describes sense in a variety of ways.  I did not vote, but I agree that
transcribed (T) vs non-transcribed (N) when considering a specific gene
is much more clear than prior descriptions.

This is an excellent illustration of how science evolves.  As our
comprehension progresses we sometimes find that re-naming clarifies the
situation.  I see the sense-antisense terminology change as similar to
how the terms transformation and transfection are being used as
researchers becan to bridge the fields of molecular genetics and cancer
research.

I am grateful that such immediate access to discussion world-wide is
available via the internet.
Regards!
Toby Mogollon Horn, Ph.D.			*THE DNAHAND*
Life Science and Biotechnology Laboratory			<thorn at lan.tjhsst.edu>
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
6560 Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22312	phone 703-750-5024		fax 703-750-5010