Smiles in agarose gels

Mr SMNN Faruque s.faruque at umds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 23 12:11:11 EST 1996

IMHO, smiling in agarose gels is often caused by distortion of the
electric field by the samples.
Samples loaded into the wells have a high resistance, but normally they
do amount to a large barrier.  If a substancial cross-section of the
electric field is blocked by the sample (ie  if wells are filled to the
top, in a tank with only a small amount of buffer above the agarose,
particularly when wells are joined to form a large well) frowning occurs
(ie the centres of the bands are slower than the edges).

Now that I load my samples in 1x buffer (with 2.5% ficoll and some dye)
I never see band distortion.

Nadeem