Differential Display

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Sat Feb 24 23:53:14 EST 1996

>In article <4gl3qu$8bd at mark.ucdavis.edu>, ez022056 at dale.ucdavis.edu
>(Edward Wang) wrote:
>
>> We dumped the project after 1.5 years and 70+ false positives...
>> Good luck
>>

>The differential display method has became very popular. I know of many at
>my institution who have used this method for various projects and I
>suspect likewise at others. I have attended a number of seminars where
>researchers have presented preliminary results from differential display.
>I have seen a handful of published articles regarding genes cloned using
>the technique. I have not really seen anything substantial come out as a
>result. Dr. Wang's comment seems much more typical. Anyone want to
>comment?

I cannot speak from experience with this technique. However, I did consider
its use, and decided not to pursue it. Like two-hybrid screening, the problem
with this technique seems not in the generation of vast amounts of potentially
interesting genes, but in sorting out their relevence. No doubt RDA and its
permutations are powerful tools, but they certainly won't get you to the end
of your problem. Only consider RDA if you have a nice screen for
interesting candidates. BTW, an elegant use of this principle allowed the
cloning of
a novel hepatitis C-like virus, GBV, at Abbott.

Brett Lindenbach

Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu