Epitope Tagging Suggestions Wanted

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Feb 25 07:11:55 EST 1996

Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg (bmbckh at biovax.leeds.ac.uk) wrote:
[as a reply to a question which epitope tag to use?]

> Why not try the Strep-tag from Biometra. The tag is small and designed
> to bind to streptavidin. Good for both detection by Western and afinity
> purification.

As published recently by Arne Skerra, the original Strep-tag works only
when attached at the C-terminus of a protein. He developed a modified
Tag which works both at the C- and N-terminus.

The reference is:

T. G. M. Schmidt, J. Koepke, R. Frank, A. Skerra:
Molecular interaction between the Strep tag affinity peptide and its
cognate target streptavidin.
J. Mol. Biol. 255, 753-766, 1996.

Abstract available at
	http://www.hbuk.co.uk/jmb/articles/2555/2555-a08.htm
Full article available (for subscribers only) at
	http://www.hbuk.co.uk/jmb/articles/2555/2555-a08.pdf

--Cornelius.