Biogel

WSchick at aol.com WSchick at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 10:38:23 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-02-27 18:49:18 EST, d.parcej at ic.ac.uk (Dr Dave Parcej)
writes:

>>Bio-Gel P series was Hjertens synthetic answer to Sephadex.   Bio-Rad sells
>>and distributes the Bio-Gel P-10, they have daughter companies in Europe.
>>Walt Schick
>
> Actually, BioGel was acrylamide based and therefore more like
>Pharmacias Sephacryl than sephadex
>Dave

Dave is correct on similarity,  my comment was historical.  First gel
filtration matrix was the dextran-based "Sepahdex",  then came
acrylamide-based "Bio-Gel P"  P for polyacrylamide and both have similar
sieving characteristics.  Thus the Bio-Gel P was a commercial competitor for
the same applications.
 For larger biomolecules, Pharmacia and Bio-Rad developed agarose based
"Sepharose" and "bio-Gel A".
 Later came the Sephacryl, possibly after the patents expired and Pharmacia
wanted some of the properties of an inert synthetic gel material like Bio-Gel
P.

Walt Schick.