peptide antigen success rate

IJ Huang gr8bn at cc.usu.edu
Tue Feb 27 20:18:05 EST 1996

In article <4gv7h1$2ac at is.bbsrc.ac.uk> Mick Partis <mick.partis at hri.ac.uk> writes:
>Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
>Subject: Re: peptide antigen success rate
>From: Mick Partis <mick.partis at hri.ac.uk>
>Date: 27 Feb 1996 15:21:05 GMT

>ar229 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Allison Haggarty) wrote:
>>
>>Using a 15 mer peptide  (chosen from a hydrophilicity analysis of the
>>entire protein sequence) what is the liklihood of getting antibodies that
>>react against the full length protein?  Is it better to try more than one
>>peptide or use more than one rabbit per peptide?  Any ideas about how to
>>increase the odds of getting a good antiserum?
>>
>>As you can guess I'm interested in trying to make anti-peptide antibodies
>>but I've been told the success rate is very low.  Is this true in
>>general?  Any information on optimizing the process would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>--
>>Allison Haggarty          ar229 at freenet.carleton.ca
>>                          mdah at musica.mcgill.ca

In our lab. we followed the following paper and had about 45 out 50
successful rate.  Also the peptide sequences of your choice are important.

Tam, T.P. (1988). Synthetic peptide vaccine design: Syhthesis and
properties of a high-density multiple antigenic peptide system. PNAS 85,
5409-5413.

Hope this will help.

I-jen Huang
Graduate Student
EMAIL:GR8BN at CC.USU.EDU               ll          Dept. of Biology
HTTP://CC.USU.EDU/~GR8BN/HUANG.HTML  ll        Utah State University
PHONE: 1-808-797-2724                ll       Logan, Utah 84322-5305
FAX: 1-801-797-1575                  ll